St. Mary's Seminary
St. Mary’s Seminary, dedicated to the honor of the Mother of Jesus, dates its origins from the charter establishing the University of St. Mary in the City of Galveston on August 23, 1856. The institution was transferred in 1901 to La Porte, and by charter amendments duly made and filed, the name was changed to St. Mary’s Seminary. With the completion of new buildings, the seminary was relocated at its present site in Houston on October 4, 1954.
St. Mary’s Seminary is a theologate which exists for the personal, spiritual, academic and pastoral preparation of men for the Roman Catholic priesthood. St. Mary’s is committed to enabling men to grow in holiness and develop into pastoral leaders who desire to serve the Church as priests and who satisfactorily demonstrate their competence and willingness for effective ministry.
The seminary promotes the full, integral, and personal growth of each student and emphasizes the development of skills in collaborative ministry.
St. Mary’s strives to lead seminarians to an appreciation of the global mission of the Church, so that they are ready to “meet the needs of the whole Church, being prepared in spirit to preach the Gospel everywhere” (Decree on the Training of Priests, n. 20). Hence, St. Mary’s Seminary is committed to preparing priests who will be pastorally effective serving with and among all of God’s people.
The primary focus is the preparation of candidates for the diocesan priesthood who intend to serve in the south and southwestern part of the United States which is multi-ethnic and multi-cultural.