Catholic Charities’ ‘The Cardinal’s Krewe’ inaugural fundraiser to benefit services
March 11, 2014
SUGAR LAND — On Feb. 27 Catholic Charities hosted its inaugural fundraising dinner called “The Cardinal’s Krewe,” with Daniel Cardinal DiNardo.
The Mardi Gras-themed event grossed more than $116,000. Held at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Center, festivities included an underwriter’s reception, live auction, Masks Up, dinner and remarks from Cardinal DiNardo.
To highlight its Fort Bend services, Catholic Charities introduced its newly appointed Mamie George Community Center Executive Director Beth Zarate and invited one of the center’s senior clients, Humberto Perez, to share his story.
Mark and Susan Ryan chaired the event, while Gene and Pat Reed of EE Reed Construction served as the underwriters. Judge Bob Hebert served as the emcee and Commissioner James Patterson was the auctioneer.
ARTreach’s Mark DeLeon wowed attendees with a live painting that was auctioned off.
Other auction items included a gold crucifix necklace blessed by Pope Francis, which was generously donated by Susan Ryan and Diane Terry, and a hand-sewn quilt designed by 16 seniors at the Mamie George Community Center and complied and quilted by Pat Hebert.
All proceeds benefit Catholic Charities’ Fort Bend County services at the Mamie George Community Center and Rio Bend Foster Care Community.
Services at the Mamie George Community Center include:
• The Senior Wellness Center, where seniors participate in educational and recreational activities, engage in exercise routines (within the Center’s Fitness Facility and as a feature of the Center’s dance and movement classes), consult with a range of medical professionals and receive support in addressing various challenges through case management.
• Patty’s Cafe, where seniors who visit the Senior Wellness Center may receive lunches from among a range of healthy options at no charge.
• Trini’s Corner Market, where seniors and families self-select groceries that are provided to them at no charge, including meat/poultry items and fresh produce.
• Emergency Financial Assistance, provided for low-income seniors and families who are facing crises involving rent/utility/mortgage expenses and medical bills.
• Legal Assistance for Immigrants, involving the representation of crime victims, the provision of citizenship information and support in completing citizenship applications.
• Pregnancy, foster care and adoption services provided for young parents and their families.
Services at Rio Bend Foster Care Community include providing high-quality, loving foster homes for children from the state of Texas and from other countries, including refugees, asylees and victims of human trafficking.
For more information on this, or other Catholic Charities events, contact Zarinah K. Poole, director of special events, at 713-874-6649 or email@example.com.