2015 - Lenten Events Around the Archdiocese Part II
March 20, 2015
Retreats, Events & Services
Lenten Reflection Series, 6 p.m. April 1 at Holy Name Passionist Retreat Center (430 Bunker Hill Road, Houston). All are invited to an evening of a presentation on the Passion, reflection time, confessions and Mass. Free and open to the public; a free will offering is appreciated. Call 713-464-0211 or visit passionist.org/holyname.
MARCH 24: Cocathedral of the sacred heart penance service, 7 p.m. at the Co-Cathedral (1111 St. Joseph Parkway, Houston). All are invited for a day of prayer and confession. At least 12 priests will be available for confession in English, Vietnamese and Spanish. Invite others.
Holy Week April 2 to 4: Tenebrae Services, 6 a.m. at the Chapel of St. Basil (corner of West Alabama and Yoakum Boulevard at the University of St. Thomas) on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. All are welcome to these services hosted by the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist. Tenebrae, which means darkness, combines the psalms and readings of Matins and Lauds. 713-522-5480.
Divine Mercy Novena at St. Vincent de Paul, Saturday, April 4 at home; Easter Sunday April 5 - Thursday April 9 at 7 p.m. in St. Jude’s Alcove, Friday April 10 - Saturday April 11 at 7 p.m. in MJFC Rooms A&B. Feast of the Divine Mercy Sunday Solemn Celebration April 12 at 2:15 p.m. in the Church (6800 Buffalo Speedway, Houston) with Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, praise and Adoration, homily and reflection on the Mystery of Divine Mercy, the Divine Mercy Image, Prayer of the Divine Mercy Chaplet, Benediction at 3:00 p.m, the hour of mercy.
Good Friday Walk for Justice, Noon at Houston City Hall (901 Bagby St., Houston). Beginning at City Hall, the stations are led by a different group with a social justice theme. Father Richard Wahl, CSB will lead the prayerful and meditative walk.
Good Friday Service, Rosary and Procession for Life, 8 a.m. at the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (111 St. Joseph Parkway, Houston). Morning service and Stations of the Cross start at 8 a.m., followed by a Rosary procession through downtown Houston to a former abortion clinic in remembrance of the 55 million lost to abortion and their families. For more information, contact 832-875-5126 or in Spanish, 832-660-3924.
Parish/KC Fish Fries
• HOLY ROSARY KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS FISH FRY, after the Friday 5:15 p.m. weekday Masses, March 27 at Holy Rosary Parish (3617 Milam St., Houston). $5 suggested donation. Call 713-529-4854 for more.
• CHRIST THE GOOD SHEPHERD KC COUNCIL 10872 FISH FRY, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. on Fridays during Lent except Good Friday at Christ the Good Shepherd Church large parish hall (18511 Klein Church Road, Spring); 281-376-6831.
• NOTRE DAME KC COUNCIL 7036 FISH FRY, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. every Friday, until Good Friday at Notre Dame's Community Center (7720 Boone Rd., Houston). $10 adult, $6 kids plate selections offer baked and fried fish, catfish court bouillion, fries, hush puppies, cole slaw, vegetables and ice tea. To-go available. Kids under 4 are free. $1 Homemade desserts made by CDA Court Blessed Trinity 1971 for purchase. For more information, Gerry at 281-498-7039.
• All Saints Church Fish Fry, 5 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. March 27 at All Saints Parish Hall (201 East 10th St., Houston). $8 plates include fried tilapia filets, coleslaw, french fries, and choice of Spanish rice or corn. Eat in or to go plates available. Proceeds benefit the All Saints Guadalupana Association. 713-864-2653.
• ST. CYRIL OF ALEXANDER KC COUNCIL 8024 FISH FRY, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. every Friday, until Good Friday, starting Feb. 20 at St. Cyril Church - Room 121 (10503 Westheimer Road, Houston). $9 Adult, $8 senior and $7 children plates. Bring seven canned goods for $2 discount. For more information, contact 713-789-1250.
• ST. MICHAEL KC COUNCIL 14700 FISH FRY, 5 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Fridays through March 27 at St. Michael Church (1801 Sage Rd., Houston). $8-$12 adult plates or $5 kid plates include fish or shrimp, sides and beverage. For more, visit kofc14700.org.
• ST. PHILIP NERI CHURCH FISH FRY, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. through March 27 at the church (10960 Martin Luther King Blvd., Houston). Dinners available: crawfish etouffee, catfish, or tilapia, all served with homemade potato salad and green beans. Fax large orders to 713-734-0331. Buy 10 orders, get one dinner for lagniappe (free!). For more information, call 713-733-8000.
• ST. MAXIMILIAN KOLBE KC COUNCIL 10720 FISH FRY, 7:15 p.m. at the St. Maximilian Education Bldg. (10135 West Road, Houston). Service begins after the Friday 7 p.m. Stations of the Cross. $8 adult plates and $4 child plates consist of fish (fried, baked and blackened), grilled cheese, fries, hushpuppies, beand and coleslaw. Eat in and to go plates are available. The local Catholic Daughters chapter will provide desserts. Proceeds from the fish fry go to the Deacon Auburn Higgins Memorial Scholarship. Contact 281-955-7324.
• MARY QUEEN KC COUNCIL 8494 FISH FRY, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Fridays through March 27, at Mary Queen Church (606 Cedarwood Dr., Friendswood). The all-you-can-eat menu includes $11 adult catfish plates, $6 adult spaghetti plates, $8 kids catfish plates, $6 spaghetti kids plates, and $12 take-out plates. Credit and debit cards accepted.
• PRINCE OF PEACE KC COUNCIL 8482 FISH FRY, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Fridays in March, at the Prince of Peace Community Center (19222 Tomball Parkway, Houston) or the KC Hall (9623 Zaka Road, Houston). Each location features fried or grilled fish, fried shrimp and gumbo. At the KC Hall, enjoy bingo and a cash bar. Fun for the entire family. Take-out is also available. For more information, contact Gary Maly at 281-439-2686 or email@example.com.
• SACRED HEART, RICHMOND FISH FRY, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. Fridays in the Family Life Center (507 South 4th St., Richmond). $10 adult/ $5 child plates include fried (or grilled) fish, fries, hush puppies, green beans, coffee, tea and lemonade. Cheese pizza and Society of St. Margaret Mary desserts will be available for sale.
• OUR LADY OF LOURDES KC COUNCIL 10393, SANTA FE FISH FRY, 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. each Friday in Lent through March 27 (11100 Hwy 6, Santa Fe). $8 adult/$4 kid plates include a menu of baked or fried fish, French fries, coleslaw, vegetable, iced tea, coffee, and dessert. Stations of the Cross follows at 7 p.m.Stations of the Cross follows at 7 p.m.
• ST. EDITH STEIN KC COUNCIL 12955 FISH FRY, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. in Carmel Hall (3311 N. Fry Road, Katy) each Friday in Lent. $9 adult/$4 kid plates include a menu of catfish, fries, coleslaw, green beans and hush puppies. Fried shrimp and jalapeno poppers are extra, but lemonade and iced tea are included.
• OUR LADY OF FATIMA - TEXAS CITY FISH FRY, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. each Friday in Lent through March 27 at the church (1600 9th Avenue N, Texas City). $8 plates. For more information, call 409-945-3326.
• Epiphany of The Lord KC Fish Fry, 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m. in the PAC Center Fridays through March 27 at Epiphany of the Lord (1530 Norwalk Dr., Katy). Plates range from $2 - $14 and include coleslaw and fries. Dine in includes tea, corn and green beans. Appetizers rage from $3 - $9. Proceeds benefit local Katy charities and seminiarian/youth scholarships.
• Christ the Redeemer KC Fish Fry, 4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. in the Parish Life Center Fridays through March 27 at Christ the Redeemer Church (11507 Huffmeister Road, Houston). $8 adult plates and $5 kid plates include baked fish, fried fish or shrimp (choose one or combine two), three sides (baked potato, French fries, coleslaw, corn, green beans, or hush puppies), dessert and a drink.