Submissions & Deadline Dates
Got a story idea? Photos? ATA submission?
Our 2023 deadlines for submitting news and Around the Archdiocese events to the Texas Catholic Herald are listed below. Due to limited space in the newspaper and other factors, we cannot guarantee publication of any submission to the newspaper. However, we will do our best to include a diverse group of parishes and ministries. Current circulation is 72,000 households. The newspaper is mailed to subscribers.
- The editorial deadline is no later than Tuesday at noon, 21 days (three weeks) prior to the issue date.
- The paid advertising deadline is Tuesday at noon, 14 days (two weeks) prior to the issue date.
- For example, for a Jan. 31 issue, the editorial deadline is Jan. 10 and the paid advertising deadline is Jan. 17.
See further below for tips on submitting news ideas, stories or photos to the Herald. For more information or to submit details of your announcement or event, email the Texas Catholic Herald Managing Editor Rebecca Torrellas or call 713-652-8215.
2023 Editorial Deadline(Tuesdays at Noon)
|2023 Publication Date
|January 10, 2023||January 31|
|January 24||February 14|
|February 7||February 28 - Lent|
|February 21||March 14|
|March 7||March 28|
|March 21||April 11|
|April 4||April 25|
|April 18||May 9|
|May 9||May 30|
|May 23||June 13|
|June 20||July 11|
|July 25||August 15 - Back to School|
|August 22||September 12|
|September 5||September 26|
|September 19||October 10|
|October 3||October 24|
|October 24||November 14|
|November 7||November 28|
|November 21||December 12|
|December 5||December 26|
How to submit news and stories to the Texas Catholic Herald
Proclaiming the Good News to the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston is our mission. However, since our small staff cannot attend every single event or cover all of the news in the Archdiocese, we rely on you in the community to be our eyes and ears.
To make this easier on everyone — and to help us create even better stories and mentions — please use these tips as your handy guide for submitting stories and news ideas. Note: We cannot acknowledge each submission.
Please include the following information when submitting stories and information for possible inclusion in the TCH:
7. And photos, photos, photos
Whether your story is about an event or a person, place, group or some other thing, we need the basic details. Use full names and proper titles (please avoid nicknames or shortened names and titles), as well as specific dates, street addresses, phone numbers and any other important details.
The Texas Catholic Herald is always seeking photos from parishes and ministries around the Archdiocese. We accept media (photo/video) submissions for the Texas Catholic Herald via OneDrive.
When submitting photos, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org in JPEG format and size them at 300dpi or 4x6 in size. For captions, identify people in the photo by name (from left to right: L-R) and include information about what is going on in the image, as well as to whom we should attribute the photo. For example:
Photo by John Doe
Photo by Father John Doe
Photo courtesy of St. Pius X Catholic School
Contact the Herald at least five to seven weeks before your event if you'd like for us to consider staff coverage. Also, send your post-coverage (after the event) information, stories and photos as soon as possible, so that we can consider it for an upcoming issue. Scroll up for TCH issue deadlines.
While everything submitted can't always be printed, the Herald works to offer a fair mixture of what is submitted week to week based on a variety of factors, including (but not limited to) news value, timeliness, how often or how recently a group is featured and the quality of submitted photos.
Don't forget to include a name, phone number and e-mail address for any follow up.
We accept media (photo/video/flyers) submissions for the Texas Catholic Herald via OneDrive.
Around the Archdiocese - Event Submissions
- To submit events for the Around the Archdiocese section of the Texas Catholic Herald, use this form or email the Herald the details of the event to email@example.com.
Note: Priority is given to parish-based and parish-hosted ministries, groups, religious orders and organizations found in the Archdiocesan Directory . Also, due to space and other factors, we cannot guarantee placement or frequency in Around the Archdiocese but we will whenever possible do our best to get your event into the section.
- Deadlines: Submissions must be received by 12 p.m., at least three weeks (21 days) prior to the publication date. Click here for deadlines. Due to increased total number of submissions, we are unable to acknowledge each submission.
- To submit a flier, click here.
Include the following information in your e-mail:
- The name of your event (for example, "Chili Cook-off Scholarship Fundraiser")
- Date, time, location (with full address) of your event
- A brief description of your event (see example below)
- The name of your organization (if applicable)
- If the event is for charity, include the benefiting group or organization
- Include the cost for tickets or note that it's free
- Name, phone and/or e-mail address of the contact person that you want readers to call/e-mail with questions (do not include personal contact info that you do not want released to the public)
- Web site address for your organization (if you have one)
- Name, phone and e-mail address of the lead contact person, to verify info
Due to space, abbreviated listings (example below) are published in the paper. Longer entries may be published online.
TALK BY SISTER HELEN PREJEAN, 6 p.m. at Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart Cathedral Centre Cameron Hall (1701 San Jacinto St., Houston). Nationally-recognized opponent of the death penalty and author of "Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty in the United States," Sister Helen Prejean will speak to the community. Free, open to the public. 713-000-0000; www.eventwebsite.com.
Also in this Section
For more than 50 years, the Texas Catholic Herald has been proclaiming the Good News to the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. Learn more about our history and how to contact our staff.
View an online calendar of upcoming events held by parishes, ministries and organizations Around the Archdiocese and find out how to submit event information for upcoming issues of the Texas Catholic Herald.