Consulate General of Israel and Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston Co-Host Photo Exhibit (1)
May 13, 2015
CONSULATE GENERAL OF ISRAEL TO THE SOUTHWEST AND THE ARCHDIOCESE OF GALVESTON- HOUSTON CO-HOST CEREMONY OF OFFICIAL PHOTO EXHIBIT’S PREMIERE SHOWING IN HOUSTON
HOUSTON – The Houston-based Consulate General of Israel to the Southwest the United States and the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston are formally marking the opening of an exclusive photo exhibit of His Holiness Pope Francis visiting Israel. The local ceremony will be at:
Time: 9:30 a.m. (immediately following morning Mass)
Date: Friday, May 15, 2015
Place: St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church Family Center, 6800 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX 77025
The official exhibition of Pope Francis’ recent trip to the Holy Land is being displayed for the first time in Houston.
A crowd of 300 is anticipated to attend the opening ceremony, which will be led by:
• Consul Daniel Agranov of the Consulate General of Israel to the Southwest United States
• Bishop-Elect Brendan Cahill, Director of Clergy Formation and Chaplaincy Services, Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
• Father Reginald Samuels, Ecumenism and Inter- Religious Affairs Chairman for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
• Msgr. William L.(Bill) Young, Pastor, St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church
• Carolyn Sears, Principal, St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School
The exhibit will be open to the public through the month of May.
About the Photo Exhibit
The photo exhibit highlights His Holiness Pope Francis’ historic visit to Israel in 2014. The images were captured by an official photographer of the Israeli government who had virtually unrestricted access to the time Pope Francis spent with former President of Israel Shimon Peres; Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu; and Greek Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, as well as leaders of the Muslim and Jewish faiths. The encounters occur among some of the holiest Jewish and Christian sites.
Highlights of the Exhibit
• Pope Francis exchanging warm greetings with former Israel Pres. Shimon Peres
• Pope Francis is also photographed praying alone and with Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew I in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, where they kneeled together before the Stone of the Anointing.
• Pope Francis is pictured on the Temple Mount and praying at the Western Wall.
• At the Western Wall, he is affectionately and simultaneously greeted by Rabbi Skorka and Imam Dr. Aboud.
• Prime Minister Netanyahu was with Pope Francis when he laid a wreath on the grave of Zionist Visionary Binyamin Ze’ev Herzl and visited a Memorial to Victims of Terrorism on Mt. Herzl.