Sacred and Safe
A message from Daniel DiNardo
Un mensaje del Cardenal DiNardo
The Archdiocese is committed to ensuring the safety of our children and young people in keeping with the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People issued by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This effort is being realized by programs at 3 different levels.
Sacred and Safe
A sexual abuse prevention program for children and youth in grades K-12. This program continues the effort first begun on September 1, 2011, in compliance with the USCCB Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. Cardinal DiNardo has directed that every parish in the Archdiocese implement Sacred & Safe, a program which provides faith-based safe environment lessons for children and youth in kindergarten through the 12th grades. This annual program provides one grade-specific lesson each year to help children and young people develop the skills to protect themselves from sexual abuse. An essential parent component complements the grade-specific lessons. The Offices of Evangelization and Catechesis and Adolescent Catechesis and Evangelization oversee the formation process. The Archdiocesan Office of Safe Environment oversees the reporting process. The time frame for implementing the program is September 1 through January 31. Reports are due to the Office of Safe Environment by February 15.
- PCLs implementing the program for the first time are asked to attend and bring training resources to a program in-service.
- Resources are intended primarily for use by pastors and PCLs. Catechists and parents are invited to view and download resources as needed.
- Parish Catechetical Leaders (DREs and CYMs), who utilize this program, are asked to carefully read and follow the links for training resources, lesson plans, and reporting forms. All resources can be downloaded and printed.
Included on this site are the following materials:
- program implementation manual for PCLs
- pastoral care resources
- K-12th grade lesson plans, handouts, parent resources
- Supplementary resources for maintaining safe relationships
- Reporting form & instructions.
This program is for teens who work with other minors in a ministerial setting. It is designed to equip the teens, in an age appropriate manner, with the skills and information necessary to help prevent the abuse and exploitation of young people. It is administered by the Archdiocesan Office of Youth Ministry and more information can be found here.
VIRTUS' Protecting God's Children
This program is designed to equip adults who work with minors with the skills and information necessary to help prevent the abuse and exploitation of young people. It is requried for all adults who have regular contact with minors. It is administered by the Archdiocesan Office of Safe Environment. More information can be found here.
VIRTUS' Keeping the Promise Alive
This program is a required, refresher course for all adults who have previously completed the Protectign God's Children. It is administered by the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Office. More in formation can be found here.