Protecting God's Children for Adults
A prevention and awareness training at the parish and school level for adults.
The training consists of classroom presentations, printed materials and dvds
that will focus on the prevention of abuse and the protection of children.
The program is designed particularly for those adults who have custodial care
of children as part of their duties. Training in the signs and symptoms that
indicate a child is being abused in some way, and how to talk with children
about these issues. You will also learn the Archdiocese's reporting policies and
procedures for suspected abuse of a minor. An on-line component called
"VIRTUS on-line" will provide continued training through monthly bulletins.
Who is required to take the class?
*Volunteers having regular contact with children or youth are defined as those whose participation is "frequent, routine or ongoing"
- All clergy working in the Archdiocese
- All employees over the age of 18 within the Archdiocese, including parishes and schools, regardless of position, ministry, part-time and full-time status
- All outside contractors
- All seminarians
- Diaconate and Acolyte Candidates
- Volunteer directors/coordinators of religious education
- Volunteers in religious education
- Volunteers in youth ministry
- Volunteers in Catholic schools*
- Volunteers in Quinceañeras preparation
- Scout Leaders (Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.)
- Volunteers with choirs who have at least one person under the age of 18
- Volunteers in Early Childhood programs, Mother's Day Out, or Parish Nursery
- Volunteer coordinators/trainers of altar servers
- Volunteers that include an overnight stay, e.g., retreats, lock-ins, away from the child/youth's home
- Volunteers in Children's Liturgy of the Word programs
- St. Vincent de Paul sponsored food pantries
Who is recommended to take the class?
The following ministries are recommended to complete VIRTUS if, in the course of their ministry, they come into contact with children/youth. We understand that each parish is unique and the final decision of who is recommended to take Protecting God's Children is up to the Pastor of each parish.
*The term "implied trust" means that this person, due to the performance of their ministry, would be considered by the parishioners to be a "safe and trusted" person or leader of the church due to the function of their ministry.
- Liturgical ministers (lectors, ushers, EMHC's, choirs, and wedding coordinators)
- Food Pantry volunteers (other than SVDP) where families with children are served
- Volunteers in any other public ministry* which carries with it an "implied trust"
What do I need to bring to the class with me?
All individuals who attend a Protecting God's Children workshop must present a valid, non-expired form of identification.
If you do not have one of the forms of ID listed below or your ID is expired you may not attend the workshop. No Exceptions.
The only acceptable forms of Identification are:
- Passport from any country
- State-issued Driver's License (any state in the US)
- State-issued Identification Card (any state in the US)
- Mexico Consulate Identification Card (Matricula Consular)
- Guatemala Consulate Identification Card
What should I expect at the workshop?
Be sure to arrive on time for the workshop. No one will be allowed to enter after the first video begins. No Late Arrivals!
You will check in by signing your name on the pre-registered sign-in sheet. You will be required to present one of the acceptable forms of ID. If you did not pre-register online you will not be admitted. No walk-in's will be allowed. If you are an employee you will need to fill out the verification of attendance form.
*Credit for attendance is only given if your signature is on the Sign-in Sheet and background check is cleared.
How do I get my certificate of attendance?
We do not issue certificates of attendance. You may print out confirmation of your attendance by logging in to your VIRTUS account.
Once you log in,click on instructor-led training in the left green column and this is what you will see.
Print this page as proof of attendance.
**Please allow 4-6 weeks for the workshop to be processed before you try to print proof of attendance. If after that time you do not see Attendance Confirmed or it states Account Pending Approval, contact your local Safe Environment Coordinator or Safe Environment Office email@example.com .