If you are seeking Victims Assistance, please click here.
Safe Environment Overview
Summary of Program
USCCB Office of Child & Youth Protection
Parent Page at USCCB Office of Child & Youth Protection
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
VIRTUS Protecting God's Children (PGC) for Adults Workshop
Register & Attend a PGC Workshop
What to Expect at the Workshop
Confirmation of Attendance at a PGC Workshop
Victims Assistance Information
Safe Environment Training for Children and Youth (K through grade 12)
Sacred and Safe
Safe Environment Training for Minors (High School Youth under the age of 18)
In the Gospels,Matthew 19:14 & Luke 18:16, Jesus clearly calls the little children to come to Him. In the document, Promise to Protect, Pledge to Heal the USCCB's Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, the US Catholic Bishops have called for the protection of those same children. The Safe Environment Program of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston is a response to those calls.
The mission of the Archdiocese's "Safe Environment Program" is to insure the safety of children and young people who have been entrusted to our care in our parishes, schools, religious education classes, and other programs.
We pursue this mission in three ways:
By thoroughly screening and supervising all Church ministers, employees and volunteers who work with children and young people as part of their ministry.
By providing appropriate training in recognizing and reporting child abuse to appropriate civil and Church authorities.
By holding all Church ministers, employees and volunteers who work with children and young people to Christ-centered and professional codes of conduct.
The pages on this website are a tool to allow any interested person an opportunity to explore our programs further or just get in touch with us. We welcome your comments and suggestions at all times.
Our staff is available to assist you with whatever information you may need. Please feel free to contact us:
Joseph Maire – Manager of Safe Environment
Email Joseph Maire
Juliette Thomas - Compliance Coordinator
Email Juliette Thomas
Isabel Guerra – Program Coordinator
Email Isabel Guerra
Register & Attend a "Protecting God's Children Workshop"
To begin registration select:
What to expect at the workshop?(Be sure to arrive on time for the workshop, no one will be allowed to enter after the first video begins. NO LATE ARRIVALS!)
- Check-In (Sign your name on the pre-registered sign-in sheet at the workshop)
- Handouts** (Fill out the forms completely & turn them in at the end of the workshop)
- Fill out Volunteer Background Check Form
- Volunteer Code of Conduct Form.
- Fill out SE Workshop Attendance Verification Form
- Volunteer Code of Conduct Form.
(Your Employer should submit your Employee Background Check Form separately)
(Credit for attendance is only given if your signature is on the Sign-in Sheet and complete paperwork is submitted at the workshop. NO PAPERWORK, NO CREDIT! We do not issue certificates of attendance at PGC Workshops!)
Confirmation of Attendance
- All paperwork from PGC Workshops are submitted to the Archdiocesan Safe Environment Office for processing.(Please be aware the approval process can take up to 3 weeks before being cleared to work with children & youth!)
- Once we have cleared the Background Check process and verified attendance of PGC workshop, you will receive an email stating that your attendance has been confirmed if you provided a valid email address upon pre-registration.
- To view or print your attendance date and confirmation sheet, log into VIRTUS Online and enter your USER ID and PASSWORD, (this can be sent to you by the Safe Environment Office or your local Parish/School Safe Environment Coordinator). Print the sheet that states "ATTENDANCE CONFIRMED" along with the date, time, and location of the workshop you attended. If you do not see Attendance Confirmed or it states Account Pending Approval, contact your local SE Coordinator or Safe Environment Office.